Dreams that Come and Dreams that Go



Dreams do come true, though the dreams we dream are rarely complete; when we dream we tend to leave out details. My dream of owning my own house, for instance, didn't include inside and outside maintenance, roof replacements or 100 year storms that would wipe out the lower floor. I also have had dreams for loved ones, particularly my children. I watched with joy and tears as they learned to smile, roll over, feed themselves, read and care for and love others. Dreams for my children, however, left out many important details, including their departures.

The product of the last of those dreams made his departure yesterday at 5:30 AM with a wave and a smile. Venus and Pluto blinked brightly in a predawn azure-soaked sky, and, as we waved back from our porch, a heron surprised us, flapping loudly a few feet above our heads. These details had not found their way into my dreams for my son, but they were welcome; both sparkling planets and large, strange bird made the occasion memorable if not startling.

So fare thee well, dear one. We thank God for you as we do for the three others who welcomed and grew with you for such a short time. May the many goodbyes you experienced and lamented be outstripped by many and frequent joyful reunions with those whom you most love and most love you (including me). Your already-exercised wings have lifted you to heights where the air is sweet and thin. Fly high with eyes wide; let us see you, but please continue to watch for us.

Godspeed. You have all my love.

By the way, I haven't stopped dreaming; these new dreams also, no doubt, are missing inmportant details.

Comments

timmy said…
love you, mom! even though we're so far away, we miss Kyle right along with you!
Julie said…
So beautiful Cath! I'm thinking of some of the twists and turns and incomplete-ness many of my dreams have had. The Lord always seems to remind me that His ways are higher than mine... and how comforting -- He knows my dreams! I love you so~

Julie
Susan said…
It seems as that time was truly blessed, marked as significant...
stargazer9186 said…
:( so happy.. so sad..

Popular Posts